Wednesday, April 22, 2015

3:15 a.m.
     That seems to be the usual time I awaken most nights. The reason? I wish I knew. All I know is, it is in this awakening that I am filled with fear and dread, and all of my worries and problems are magnified. Problems that seemed solvable during the day loom large and very much unsolvable when I am surrounded by darkness in the middle of the night. There's just something about that time of night that makes me feel very alone, and very vulnerable. It is Satan's favorite time to attack me, with worries such as: "Are my children ok?" "Is my family ok?" "Why did I have to say that today?" "Why did I have to do that today?" And, the list goes on and on.

     One day I ran across these words from the Bible, and memorizing them and praying them to God during these dark and fearful night 'awakenings' has been the power I need to defeat the enemy and bring light to my darkness, allowing me to feel the peace of God and rest again:

     "You, O LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light. With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God, I can scale a wall." Psalm 18:28-29, NIV

     We must always be prepared for Satan's attacks. God tells us so, in I Peter 5:8, "Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the Devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victim to devour." (NLT) Yes, Satan will try to attack us whenever he can, and however he can, but nothing defeats Satan's attacks like the Word of God! It is so important that we read God's Word, and hide it in our hearts (see Psalm 119:11), so we will be prepared whenever he tries to attack us:

     "In every battle you will need faith as your shield to stop the fiery arrows aimed at you by Satan. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." Ephesians 6:16-17, NLT

Thank You, Dear LORD, that so much greater are You who lives within me than he who is in the world! (I John 4:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment